I recently had an issue with a HP 650 laptop that wouldn’t turn on, yet the power button light would illuminate for around 5 to 10 seconds and the charge port was lit up. I tried numerous different chargers, with and without the battery, removing the RAM and hard drive also. I then removed the CMOS (watch type) battery for 10 seconds and then reseated it, the computer then booted. This seems to be a common issue for these laptops, so hopefully this will help some people. CMOS battery remove guide is situated in the pictures below.
- Remove the battery at the underside of the laptop and undo the screw (located in the red circle in the below picture) using a small screwdriver, lift up the plastic cover, revealing the RAM, that was held on by the screw and place it to one side; the screw will stay in place so don’t worry about losing it.
- At the top edge of the plastic cover you just removed will be another screw (located in the red circle in the below picture), unscrew it and remove the next section of plastic cover, revealing the hard drive and CMOS battery.
- Using the small screw driver, pull out the watch battery from the small gap at the front. Leave it out of the laptop for around 10 seconds before reseating it back in it’s previous position.
- Follow the steps backwards (3 to 1) to reattach the plastic covers.
- Try the laptop again now with the charger and/or battery reconnected and see if that’s fixed it.
Hope that helps a few people.